13 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Sky

Timothy Sky

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

Just wanted to post this OLD song/performance. I thought it would be interesting to see the type of music that EDM came from. And how the way of producing it has changed over the years.

Its incredible that nowadays, every thing you see during this performance can be created using a laptop and some software.

#2 FarleyCZ

FarleyCZ

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:22 AM

Yes, if you exclude that orchestra at the begining. :-) Sampled strings (or guitars or keys) will never sounds as real as ... real ones.

But yeah, amazing about the synthwork, which is possible on laptop for few years now. Too bad lot of people screw exactly THAT magic by using just and only pre made presets instead of going on this JMJarre journey of exploring new sounds, creating them and using them in many ways. I get it if you make money by music and you don't have time to explore, but all of us here ... hm ... Kind of feel to me like this discovery magic is slowly disappearing from EDM today. But it's just feeling and OT. :-)

Must have been amazing in that times. Creatimg sounds which noone ever heard and use them to make masterpieces.
Btw: Check his Teo and Tea album. It's amazing. :-)

Edited by FarleyCZ, 29 May 2011 - 02:54 AM.

#3 Timothy Sky

Timothy Sky

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

Yes, if you exclude that orchestra at the begining. :-) Sampled strings (or guitars or keys) will never sounds as real as ... real ones.

But yeah, amazing about the synthwork, which is possible on laptop for few years now. Too bad lot of people screw exactly THAT magic by using just and only pre made presets instead of going on this JMJarre journey of exploring new sounds, creating them and using them in many ways. I get it if you make money by music and you don't have time to explore, but all of us here ... hm ... Kind of feel to me like this discovery magic is slowly disappearing from EDM today. But it's just feeling and OT. :-)

Must have been amazing in that times. Creatimg sounds which noone ever heard and use them to make masterpieces.
Btw: Check his Teo and Tea album. It's amazing. :-)

I get what your saying. Ive been thinking about going around recording samples of everyday real world things. From nature to people, and even to random sounds, and seeing what I can make with them. You would be suprised at how musical this world is around us :)

As for the trance scene right now... I think it just needs some new pioneers willing to try new sounds/production techniques that work WITH the genre instead of against it. Turning trance into an electro/house hybrid doesn't move the genre foreward, it just moves it off course. I think if we can ever hope for some change in the direction of trance it would be in the young, next generation of producers.

Music tends to change every ten years or so. I think it will be interesting to see what comes of EDM in these next ten years, and what direction it will take :)

#4 AbsMechanik

AbsMechanik

Super Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Music tends to change every ten years or so. I think it will be interesting to see what comes of EDM in these next ten years, and what direction it will take :)

In 10 years, you're going to get Dubstep Trance.....loool :lol: :P
No offense to Dubstep lovers, of course :)

Edited by AbsMechanik, 29 May 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#5 Trancestorm

Trancestorm

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4370 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

In 10 years, you're going to get Dubstep Trance.....loool :lol: :P
No offense to Dubstep lovers, of course :)

:lol: yeah indeed genres are mixing totally up - sometimes good sometimes bad.
yeah to making sounds from scratch - i'm always a friend of that - i like it to start from a pure saw waveform and execute the whole process - ok it takes long but u feel at the end - yeah i have something build totally on my own.
i tried grabbing presets from soundbanks - but i never satisfied with the result i have there.
nothing is better as exploring a synths totally - i meet so many ppl asking me - what this synths can do this - wow i never thought about that - or what is a mod env - how should i do that?! - yeah it all comes with exploring.
on the other today most of the techniques are used before or heared before in track or somewhere else. so there no really a sound to explore like JMJ did in the end of the 70's - yeah i like those tracks - and when u look how many things he had to do complicated to get his arrangement arranged - today its so simple i can drive home to my parents in the train and can work on a track.
but this means also u can have a different enviroment at the moment u do things and this can give a creative input and lead into a big track with amazing sound design.
it looks like the boundaries are only set by our processors and the amount of freezes we can simultaneously.
it would be my dream to go for example thru the moog meseum and see all this amazing machines.
thx for posting the vid!

http://www.ameyahaudio.com/ | http://www.soundcloud.com/ameyahaudio | KIchirN.png?2 Ableton Suite User | Vf6SQLe.png?1Cockos Reaper User

#6 FarleyCZ

FarleyCZ

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Exactly. You hear all of that rythms, sounds, registers, ways of use and everything basic trancer will not do, becouse it's too slow to make, so it doesn't make money, so you don't get signed.... (lets be honest, labels are still business as any other. :-) ... and signing happens to be main motivation here.) It all makes JMJ or Mike Oldfield music even more amazing. Pure musicality with creational control of sound. No formulas, no useles layering of dozens synthlines, no overused presets or loops. Just amazing music. Love it.

Btw: 4Timothy: Yeah, recording real noises and using them rulezz. Few days ago I did very interesting "empty strawberys can session". :)

Edited by FarleyCZ, 29 May 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#7 Timothy Sky

Timothy Sky

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

The potential to make great music is out there. I think people just cant see it right now because they have this mindset that the software or equipment makes the musician or the track.

Hopefully that mindset will switch around and people will realize that its the artist that makes the software.

Andrew Bayer has a track on his myspace profile called "time to forget". Each and every sound in that track all came from a single vocal sample, absolutely nothing else. Its a shame that we dont see this kind of innovative thinking in the majority of dance music out there. If something like that can be made with a single sample. Imagine what we could do if we used our entire sample libraries and synths to their full potential.

This is proof that even in EDM there is no set way to produce. Creativity has no limits

#8 AbsMechanik

AbsMechanik

Super Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

If only people had the patience to just explore the wilderness of the synth jungle. Problem is when someone mentions it took about 10+hours to create that one sound, a lot of people get turned off by that (i mean, it makes sense). But little do they realize, that in those 10+ hours, you've more or less grasped the basics and, more importantly, taken the first step to creating your signature sounds (long term effect). With today's competition, it more important than ever (in my humble opinion, of course :)) to have some unique signature to set yourself apart from the rest of the noise.

This is one of Einstein's famous quotes:

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

This right here is what motivates me to keep learning & exploring. I wish more people challenged & pushed themselves. A very simple way to start is to start just fiddling. The worst thing you'll get is probably this: Bad Sounds :P

As a side note, if it weren't for this forum, I think I'd have given up a long time ago. So cheers to the awesome forum members too, for all their support :cheers:

#9 Timothy Sky

Timothy Sky

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

If only people had the patience to just explore the wilderness of the synth jungle. Problem is when someone mentions it took about 10+hours to create that one sound, a lot of people get turned off by that (i mean, it makes sense). But little do they realize, that in those 10+ hours, you've more or less grasped the basics and, more importantly, taken the first step to creating your signature sounds (long term effect). With today's competition, it more important than ever (in my humble opinion, of course :)) to have some unique signature to set yourself apart from the rest of the noise.

This is one of Einstein's famous quotes:

This right here is what motivates me to keep learning & exploring. I wish more people challenged & pushed themselves. A very simple way to start is to start just fiddling. The worst thing you'll get is probably this: Bad Sounds :P

As a side note, if it weren't for this forum, I think I'd have given up a long time ago. So cheers to the awesome forum members too, for all their support :cheers:

+1 I think that before I put so much pressure on myself to get singed and to jump into the scene and put out music like A&B, Arty, Mat Zo, without taking to time to just experiment.

Im starting to want to take the time to explore the possibilities of production. I realized that the pressure I used to put on myself just limited my creativity, and forced me to try and copy music that was already out there. But now I want to put out music that isnt out there yet, something unique and individual which clearly represents my creative thought proccess.

When you use something to its full potential you will have an incredible outcome.

#10 FarleyCZ

FarleyCZ

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

Agreed with every word here.

#11 silencegroove

silencegroove

Anjuna Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

I °ING LOVE JEAN MICHEL JARRE! gotta watch again the performance from paris <3

Edited by silencegroove, 29 May 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#12 Timothy Sky

Timothy Sky

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

I °ING LOVE JEAN MICHEL JARRE! gotta watch again the performance from paris <3

He is really interesting not only listen to but watch aswell :walkman:

#13 FarleyCZ

FarleyCZ

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

And about 60 years today and still rockin! That's how you spend retirement! :-)

#14 FarleyCZ

FarleyCZ

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:07 AM

Talking about EDM evolution, here's another icon. :-)

Edited by FarleyCZ, 01 June 2011 - 01:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users