60 replies to this topic

#1 Lazlow

Lazlow

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8753 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:30 AM

After having listened to the A State of Trances and the Anjunabeats Volumes for a long time, I'd kind of forgotten what a compilation is SUPPOSED to sound like. Then today on a whim I popped in my Sony in-ears and listened to In Search Of Sunrise, Vol. 2. I was appalled by what I heard... or more specifically, what I didn't hear. No sudden bass swaps, no sudden tempo changes, no random key changes. I could hear each gradual entrance and exit and each slow turning of the EQ knobs. Listening to it was so much more of a personal experience, like someone's in my computer DJing for me, and not a Frankenstein stitching together of 13-15 tracks that a guy with $49.95 and a credit card could have done in MixMeister Express.

Tiësto claims that he mixed ISOS7 with decks and not a computer (as shown in this video), and you can definitely hear it in the compilation. Is it THAT much harder for other DJs to do that too? Or have they just gotten lazy?

[21:16:28] <Myon> the whole music bizz. is plagarism

No images greater than 75x75 pixels? Posted Image

#2 hialtitude

hialtitude

Anjunabeats Resident

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

yeah i prefer listening to live recorded sets they sound more real if that makes sense. things like ableton should be used to make the compilation sound different to a normal one like armins year mixes or sashas invol

#3 BlueHazard

BlueHazard

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

Laz, also Trance has changed his sound a lot lately.
Believe me, i dropped my radioshow, because i find it harder and harder to "mix those beats"...

Indeed ASOT 2009 sounds kind of bad! Even the tune selection was not quite good!
Let's see what Anjunabeats Vol.7 will bring!

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Thomas Datt Pres Asedo - Seven Years (Original Mix) [Anjunabeats]
2. Sander Van Doorn Pres Purple Haze - Hymn 2.0 [DOORN]
3. Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford - Thing Called Love (Club Mix) [Anjunabeats]

§

#4 Guest: ronaldmonster_*

Guest: ronaldmonster_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

Lazlow do you not love me anymore?

#5 Douglas

Douglas

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (ronaldmonster @ Jun 21 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can anyone not love Sasha? wub.gif wub.gif

Z68aBqe.png

#6 BlueHazard

BlueHazard

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (Douglas @ Jun 21 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can anyone not love Sasha? wub.gif wub.gif

I don't think that's possible! unsure.gif

Top 3 Tracks:
3. Above & Beyond feat. Richard Bedford - Thing Called Love (Club Mix) [Anjunabeats]

§

#7 UnKnight

UnKnight

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14982 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

See I find that Ableton has actually improved most compilations because it allows the DJ to do so much more, but it's a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

I do agree there is the magic of live mixing but the potential of digital mixing is limitless when done right.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on

Caia - Remembrance

#8 Gareth

Gareth

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3523 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Fledz @ Jun 20 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do agree there is the magic of live mixing but the potential of digital mixing is limitless when done right.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Fledz. Unfortunately, I have yet to hear many people master digital mixing... so what Lazlow said is quite valid.
Current Top 5
Dash Berlin "End of Silence" (Josh Gabriel Remix)
Sunlounger Feat Zara Taylor "Found" (Original Mix)
Super8 & Tab "Empire" (Extended Vocal Mix)
First State ft. Sarah Howells "Reverie" (Extended Vocal Mix)
Jamie Matrix "Rotation" (Original Mix)

#9 Wojtreek

Wojtreek

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6388 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (Lazlow @ Jun 21 2009, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After having listened to the A State of Trances and the Anjunabeats Volumes for a long time, I'd kind of forgotten what a compilation is SUPPOSED to sound like. Then today on a whim I popped in my Sony in-ears and listened to In Search Of Sunrise, Vol. 2. I was appalled by what I heard... or more specifically, what I didn't hear. No sudden bass swaps, no sudden tempo changes, no random key changes. I could hear each gradual entrance and exit and each slow turning of the EQ knobs. Listening to it was so much more of a personal experience, like someone's in my computer DJing for me, and not a Frankenstein stitching together of 13-15 tracks that a guy with $49.95 and a credit card could have done in MixMeister Express.

Tiësto claims that he mixed ISOS7 with decks and not a computer (as shown in this video), and you can definitely hear it in the compilation. Is it THAT much harder for other DJs to do that too? Or have they just gotten lazy?

I have to agree with that. Mixing lost its meaning with computers and ableton. I still remember for example ATB 'The DJ' which he mixed using vinyls. You can hear characteristic 12" sounds during listening, and this makes listening expirience much more better. Nowadays you just put list of 14-15 tracks into MixMeister/Ableton list, put them in correct order, fix some bpm, key issues and there we go, brand new compilation, that (like Lazlow said) even kid with $50 can do. That makes another problem - each compilation isnt that special. OFC they have unreleased tracks, which makes them interesting, but fact, that those dj/djs that mixed them can make 10 more that will look similar is sad.

Im not an enemy of computer mixing, but dj cant be focused in 100% on that IMO.

QUOTE (ronaldmonster @ Jun 21 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wub.gif wub.gif

#10 Jason B

Jason B

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

People expect perfectly mixed comps these days for their 10-15 quid, and that is exactly what they get.

QUOTE (PiterW @ Jun 22 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they were really as tasty as chocolate I wouldn't mind to do the thing most girls really like the best... but they don't, so ;)

#11 Adrian

Adrian

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 15141 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

I agree with Laz

QUOTE (ronaldmonster @ Jun 21 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Record Of The Year 2010:
1. Boom Jinx & Andrew Bayer "Keyboard Cowboys" (Anjunadeep)
4. Maor Levi feat. Ashley Tomberlin "Chasing Love" (Anjunabeats)
2. Andrew Bayer "The Taxi Driver" (Anjunadeep)
5. Hodel & JP Bates "Nowhere" [Nitrous Oxide Remix] (Perceptive Recordings)
3. Duderstadt "Stranded In NYC" (Anjunabeats)

#12 BlueHazard

BlueHazard

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Can we stop all the compilations and get some good quality Trance back???

wub.gif wub.gif

Top 3 Tracks:

§

#13 Wojtreek

Wojtreek

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6388 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (BlueHazard @ Jun 21 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wub.gif wub.gif

NO!

invol2ver was bad tongue.gif

#14 Adrian

Adrian

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 15141 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Wojtreek @ Jun 21 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO!
invol2ver was bad tongue.gif

ohmy.gif No you didn't
Record Of The Year 2010:
1. Boom Jinx & Andrew Bayer "Keyboard Cowboys" (Anjunadeep)
4. Maor Levi feat. Ashley Tomberlin "Chasing Love" (Anjunabeats)
2. Andrew Bayer "The Taxi Driver" (Anjunadeep)
5. Hodel & JP Bates "Nowhere" [Nitrous Oxide Remix] (Perceptive Recordings)
3. Duderstadt "Stranded In NYC" (Anjunabeats)

#15 BlueHazard

BlueHazard

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

=>

Top 3 Tracks:

§

#16 Wojtreek

Wojtreek

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6388 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Yes I did ohmy.gif

QUOTE (BlueHazard @ Jun 21 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
=>

I still have 'anjuna-smartass-armor' that gives me +5 for smartness and +150 health

#17 BlueHazard

BlueHazard

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6119 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (Wojtreek @ Jun 21 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have 'anjuna-smartass-armor' that gives me +5 for smartness and +150 health

lol1.gif

Top 3 Tracks:

§

#18 ROB P

ROB P

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9023 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

It would be interesting to hear a PVD compilation CD. i'm 100% sure that would be done on Ableton and if he was given the freedom to do whatever he wanted with it, it would sound superb.

#19 UnKnight

UnKnight

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 14982 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (ROB P @ Jun 21 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be interesting to hear a PVD compilation CD. i'm 100% sure that would be done on Ableton and if he was given the freedom to do whatever he wanted with it, it would sound superb.

Yes please yes.gif
I have absolutely no idea what's going on

Caia - Remembrance

#20 Beyond Skys

Beyond Skys

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (BlueHazard @ Jun 21 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can we stop all the compilations and get some good quality Trance back???

wub.gif wub.gif

+1 thumbup.gif
Top 5 Melodies in Time
22-08-10

1. Sequentia "Infinite Horizon"
2. Hodel & JP Bates "Nowhere" (N2O Remix)[/b]
3. Tiesto feat. BT "Love Comes Again" (Bart Claessen Remix)
4. Alex M.O.R.P.H "Sunset Boulevard" (DK Remix)
5. Chicane "Saltwater"

About A&B: "...it's like meeting Jesus"

Facebook ll Twitter

#21 Zak A

Zak A

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9117 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (ROB P @ Jun 21 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about last year's 'Cream Ibiza' CD, isn't that exactly what he did there?

#22 techking

techking

Anjuna Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

This is one of the most sensible threads ive seen here so far. I agree with the poster 100%. Things have changed a lot with technology. Software like Mixmeister can turn anyone into a dj, now all people have to do is just drag songs into a playlist and make the computer do the work.Wheres the fun in that? This sucks but what can we do about it?

#23 Wojtreek

Wojtreek

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6388 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (techking @ Jun 21 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of the most sensible threads ive seen here so far. I agree with the poster 100%. Things have changed a lot with technology. Software like Mixmeister can turn anyone into a dj, now all people have to do is just drag songs into a playlist and make the computer do the work.Wheres the fun in that? This sucks but what can we do about it?

Go for more parties/gigs, where real dj skills are needed to mix teh beats.

#24 alexander2v2

alexander2v2

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yo_OY

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

#25 dj_phi

dj_phi

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 15721 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (alexander2v2 @ Jun 21 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+114727847283746823746712364712664714096784086236594

Was here back in the day... until 2010-ish

#26 ROB P

ROB P

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9023 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (zakquiney @ Jun 21 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about last year's 'Cream Ibiza' CD, isn't that exactly what he did there?

Thats a ministry CD.

#27 create_for_life

create_for_life

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Lazlow @ Jun 21 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree to what you have said here. ASOT 2009 mixing souds terrible. Perhaps mixing on decks would reqire additional time which is a big problem for such busy people.
If in the past it was all about catchy melodies, nowadays it's all about (sometimes) catchy rhythms.

#28 Arksun

Arksun

Anjunabeats Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3890 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

I think this is what seperates the luddite nerds from those who just care about the music.

Those who just care about the music don't care how it was made, only how the end result affects them, moves them, physically and emotionally. I remember when people would be very impressed by a mix done on vinyl decks that sounded like an incredible seemless journey beatmatched to perfection.

Now because doing that is deemed 'easier' to achieve with software, that somehow makes it less real or an inferior mix?. That's just absurd.

This arguments soo been done to death. As a clubber, I go into a club and I wanna hear an amazing mix that moves me. I really don't give a toss what equipment was used, software or hardware, just that its great music, it flows well and the DJ has a sense of what the crowd want. No amount (or lack of) equipment will ever change that, thats the skill of the DJ and his ear, not the tools he uses. Software can't tell you what tracks (or in what order) to play on a particular night.

If the nerdy geeks that like to stand by the booth all night and watch the DJ get disappointed that they're clicking on a mousepad instead of pressing round glowing buttons on a pioneer then they're not really there for the music imho. Same way that a train spotter is just there to collect the chassis numbers as they go past. But hey whatever floats your boat, we all like our hobbies.

The fear of more powerful tools that make some aspects of the work easier is always a strange one that I'll never get. There's no way in hell I'd go back to using a sequencer from 10 years back to make a piece of music now.

Maybe DJ's should go to their gigs by good old fashioned horse & cart, lets really keep this real laugh.gif

Don't blame the tools peeps, blame the person behind the tools who may or may not know what they're doing with it wink.gif

#29 Glenn-Holmes

Glenn-Holmes

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5401 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

ark, i get what you are saying but don't forget music is just a part of the whole experience of going out, some people who really likes the music wants to see a dj that is more involved in whats going on the floor.
i don't mind listening to a dj which plays some software and is doing it well, while the connection with the crowd isn't interferred. if there is almost no connection with the crowd i at least expect something unique to come out of the speakers.
and above all, there's something very romantic, magical about watching a dj playing mostly vinyls. maybe it's just me, but out of my love to this great music i really get emotional when i see a dj with a full case of vinyls.
Glenn Holmes - Progressive & Deep House DJ
Vote For Me On This DJ Competition

http://www.letsmix.c...ix/21924<br />

#30 Lazlow

Lazlow

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8753 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Arksun @ Jun 21 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now because doing that is deemed 'easier' to achieve with software, that somehow makes it less real or an inferior mix?. That's just absurd.

Don't blame the tools peeps, blame the person behind the tools who may or may not know what they're doing with it wink.gif

Well, I don't think it's become easier to make a quality mix. As you said, the software doesn't tell you what tracks to play, in what order, how to transition, etc. but what it DOES make it easier to do is slap two tracks together and make it sound, ehhhh decent. Transition between "Shift" and "The Last Time" on Vol. 6, anyone?

Armin posted to his Twitter that he was listening to tracks for the new ASOT compilation, and then like 8 hours later said he was done with it. I mean, seriously? You can definitely hear it in the compilation too. Whereas there are some out there, like High Contrast Presents: Rank 1 from last year that I'm still listening to because it's just a great double-disc set with great flow! Doesn't matter to me if the tracks have been released for a year now.

When it comes to livesets, I personally don't give a hoot what equipment someone is using. And frankly I don't care what they use to make compilations either. As some people have said here, some DJs out there are unleashing the power of software to do some great things that just turntables and a mixer could never let you do. So I guess what I meant by my post is not that I hate all Ableton mixes, but mixes that were clearly done in Ableton in a few hours (or at least seem like they were) wink.gif But sadly, those are the ones that seem to dominate the scene now.

[21:16:28] <Myon> the whole music bizz. is plagarism

No images greater than 75x75 pixels? Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users