22 replies to this topic

#1 Zak A

Zak A

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9117 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Just after a bit of information; If a website advertises something at an incorrect price, or for free, and you purchase it - is the site/company then obliged to send you the product for that price? Or do they have the right to email you and say 'you have been charged the wrong price; do you want to pay in full or cancel the order'?

Edit: Full story updated down the page.

#2 heartbeat

heartbeat

• Residents
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

depends on the disclaimer (or whatever the english word for it is). If they've reserved the right restrictions within the offer itself, then yes. But they should not be able to charge you without asking you first ofcourse. At least that's how it works for most companies based in sweden and that are under swedish law afaik.

But let's say the advertise price differs from the real price within a reasonable amount (let's say 1-3£) and the company makes profit even if they ship it to you with the "wrong" price, I'd do it out of goodwill.

Sorry if my english is a bit off when it comes to explaining stuff. Or if I missunderstood the question rolleyes.gif

Monday Bar Lucia Cruise 2007
M/S Silja Festival - December 13-14.

Kyau & Albert, Ronski Speed
Stoneface & Terminal, Pavo
Technoboy, Fausto, Sean Tyas
Simon Patterson

#3 Ski

Ski

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

Tell us which site has cocked up by offering something for nothing, we'll all put an order in and see what happens. tongue.gif
Anjunadeep is a load of boring old toss.

#4 Zak A

Zak A

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9117 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

Well let's not name the site right now because I don't want to affect my chances of this going through, but I'm in the middle of this right now - I ordered and they won't let me have the products at the price they were advertising on the site.

#5 SééBéé

SééBéé

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5561 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

You have to check your countries laws. But if this happens in a Belgian shop they are obliged to give you the product for the price advertised, so I I don't see how this should be different for an online shop. But like I said it depends on the laws of the country where the shop is operating from.
Btw: before you start complaining to the store and other instances, make sure that you have to prove to backup your accusation of mispricing (which may be hard with online shops since it's changed so easy).
<-- Sebastiaan Live from Belgium

I'm hoping for a miracle,
That we can just let the icecaps melt away.

Click here to see me dance at Eddie Halliwel's set at Tommorrowland 2005

Essential in my live is: To achieve, Success, Friends and Music.

#6 Anjunabeast

Anjunabeast

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22109 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(SééBéé @ Jun 19 2007, 06:41 PM) View Post
You have to check your countries laws. But if this happens in a Belgian shop they are obliged to give you the product for the price advertised, so I I don't see how this should be different for an online shop. But like I said it depends on the laws of the country where the shop is operating from.
Btw: before you start complaining to the store and other instances, make sure that you have to prove to backup your accusation of mispricing (which may be hard with online shops since it's changed so easy).

At least Seb hasn't jumped in with the usual idea of making local law synonymous with the law of whoever asked the question. He is right that, for the most part, it depends where you are.

Anyway, if you havne't exchanged money for an item, them they're entitled not to sell the item to you.

If money has changed hands, then I would see that as a contract of sale between you both, so I would err on the side of you having purchased the goods at that price. You're best getting in touch with your local authority's trading standards office. If there's a dispute, they can sometimes intervene on your behalf.

My ship's better than your ship.

#7 z33k

z33k

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 10070 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Same as SeeBee, different countries, different laws.

In most cases the advertised price is binding, unless their disclamer says otherwise (which it probably does in most cases).

We recently had a case here in Denmark where an older couple saw an advert outside the store, but when they wanted to buy the items the price was different. The store was forced to sell it to them at the advertised price.

Also note that there are most likely certain rules when it's a "remote purchase" (as it is said in Denmark).

Btw. if they already charged the "correct" price there's nothing they can do. But YOU can always return the item you've purchased.

1. Armin van Buuren feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Not Giving Up (Armin's Giving Up On Trance Remix) [Tune Of The Year]
2. Lady Gaga feat. Armin van Buuren - Ma Ma Ma Ma (Armin's Ga Ga Ga Ga Radio Edit) [Future Favorite]
3. Faithless - Not Going Home (Armin's Until The Last Trance Fan Has Been Brainwashed Remix) [Tune Of The Week]

#8 swisstoni

swisstoni

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

trading standards state:

Under law, a retailer is entitled to decide the price he wants to charge for his goods.

The price on display is simply what the law calls an 'invitation to treat'. In the same way you don't have to buy goods from anyone, a retailer is under no obligation to sell you anything.

You cannot insist that a shop sells you anything at a marked price, whether or not they have made a mistake.

The law does not allow prices to be fixed and, contrary to common belief, goods are not subject to price controls.

and also:

It is illegal for shops to sell things at more than their advertised price. Our advice would be that the business should have a checking system to prevent pricing errors and ensure that any identified are quickly corrected.

#9 swisstoni

swisstoni

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

there was a case where i believe an online retailer sold some Canon Digital Camera worth at least £200 at a stupid price like £10, i believe they honoured the orders though.

#10 DamoJ

DamoJ

The Forum Just Got Damo'd.

• Residents
  • 24581 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:22 PM

They've stopped the order then? ohmy.gif I guess they've finally decided to sort things out on the site!

Bad luck Zak sad.gif
QUOTE (Jess AnjunaHQ @ Jul 28 2010, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damo J can't be wrong.

#11 nickj6

nickj6

Anjuna Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:46 AM

any updates? i know what site your talking about too, and i want to try this as well as it says "enter your price"

blink.gif

#12 NEoTY26

NEoTY26

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:02 AM

This happens all the time on larger websites. It depends on the product, but I've seen it where they will honor the first 1000 orders or so. They will go that route or just cancel all the orders.

#13 Zak A

Zak A

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9117 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

Well the site I was talking about was CDJShop, a few of the Anjunabeats CD singles have simply 'enter your price' rather than the usual £4.99 price tag. If you go to them there is just a blank box where you can fill in any price, or just add to cart for free. Damo also noticed this and told me that he'd ordered the free CDs and they had been sent out to him. Yesterday I decided to do the same but got this email:

Hi Zak,

Thankyou for your order. unfortunately there seems to have been an error with your order & you've been charged nothing for 4 Anjunabeats CDs. Would you like us to charge your account for the 4 cds or would you liike us to cancel the order?
So I replied:

Hi

The error is on the part of the shop, not the order. The 4 CDs in question simply have 'enter your price' with a blank box instead of the £4.99 that is usually charged for CD singles. If you click 'add to cart' then it adds the CD single effectively for free.

I knew I was going to be charged nothing for these, so that's the reason I bought them. Cheeky as that may seem, I knew that as the error was on the part of the shop then in fairness you would have no choice than to send me the CDs and correct the error as soon as possible. I actually noticed this a couple of days ago and told a friend about it - he immediately 'bought' them along with another CD at full price, and he's told me that you processed his order fully and have dispatched the CDs, even though they did not cost him anything.

If you insist on charging then I don't want them, you can remove them from the order and just send the 'Nightmusic' CD when it's available. But I would have thought that I was now entitled to recieve those CDs as it is an error with the site itself.

Zak

That's when I made this topic. All is well though because today I got this back:

Hi Zak,

I've refered this to out tech support team & spoken to our dispatch staff who did indeed ship the cds to your friend, we will complete your order as normal & ship you the cds as it is obviously an error on our part & nothing to do with you, yes it was slightly cheeky but I would have done exactly the same! Your free cds are on the way....
The Thrillseekers cd is out on monday, this will be dispatched seperately on monday morning so keep your eyes peeled for 2 packages.

Have a great week
Regards

smile.gif

#14 anjunamonkey

anjunamonkey

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3711 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

jammy sod! good effort though! wink.gif

#15 Pulstate

Pulstate

Anjunabeats Resident

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

^ Class mate!
iMac 27inch 10.4 GhZ / 8 GB RAM.
Ableton 8 / Reason 4 / Logic 9
100s of plugins
A Korg Microkontrol

And a hyperactive brain, incapable of focus.

Result?

A producer who rarely finishes tracks. xD

#16 jmy208

jmy208

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4972 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

ohmy.gif Looks like Christmas has come early for you Zak!

You know what else is awesome? Receiving a wrong item that you like and then receiving the correct one for free! Just happened to me...not CDJShop though laugh.gif

#17 Schoey

Schoey

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

Good effort mate and also on CDJ shops behalf, for sending them out to you and admitting the mistake.
Discogs (Vinyl for Sale) http://www.discogs.com/user/schoey

#18 KaranM

KaranM

Anjunabeats Superstar

• Residents
  • 11208 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

good one zak...congrats yo lucky git (watever that is) biggrin.gif
My Blog -------> http://hubpages.com/profile/KaranM

hi im kolly

http://www.youtube.com/v/cVUecPhQPqY

#19 Rozza

Rozza

Anjunabeats Legend

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1670 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(anjunamonkey @ Jun 20 2007, 11:40 AM) View Post
jammy sod! good effort though! wink.gif

Jammy jammy jammy Zak

#20 blakey

blakey

• Residents
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Well played mate, well played.

#21 ROB P

ROB P

Anjunabeats Alpha Monkey

• Residents
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9023 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

CLASS cool.gif

#22 DamoJ

DamoJ

• Residents
  • 24581 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(zakquiney @ Jun 20 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post
Damo also noticed this and told me that he'd ordered the free CDs and they had been sent out to him.

Don't bring me into this, you sod! ohmy.gif ph34r.gif
QUOTE (Jess AnjunaHQ @ Jul 28 2010, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damo J can't be wrong.

#23 DamoJ

DamoJ

• Residents
  • 24581 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(KaranM @ Jun 20 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post
good one zak...congrats yo lucky git (watever that is) biggrin.gif